четверг, 19 апреля 2012 г.

Interview with Misha Hodyrev (The Wild Rover)



Misha from the band “The Wild Rover” kindly agreed to be interviewed and I’m really proud of that. “The Wild Rover” plays punk rock with powerful vocals and strong lyrics. Honestly, it is one of the best Russian bands and one day they will take over the world! You may check and download their stuff for free at their bandcamp (link is given above). Incredible music and great guys!

Hello Misha! How are you?

Hello, Maksim. Thank you I’m fine. Recent months were hard for me, but now I’m trying to catch the luck and do more than possible.

Let’s start from the very beginning. Please introduce yourself and other members of the band.

My name is Misha, I sing most of the songs and play guitar, Sasha plays lead guitar and sings, Igor plays bass and sings (he sings the lead in “the song”) and Pasha beats out the hell from drums. Our band is The Wild Rover and we are from Perm, Russia.

Tell a brief story about forming of “The Wild Rover”

The Wild Rover started at the end of 2009. First it was an acoustic side-project of my previous band The Pretty Green. I wrote several songs that didn’t fit the band and that was the only way to introduce them to the people. After several shows The Wild Rover became a full squad punk rock band. Igor joined on bass, and The Pretty Green’s drummer Misha Kobelev played drums. But we weren’t working hard and almost didn’t play shows. During 2010 we recorded only two demo EP’s and played not more than ten shows and all of them were in our beloved hometown. 2011 started brightly for us with our first away show. But in the heart of spring Misha Kobelev decided to change his work place and from that moment he couldn’t play in the band on regular basis. So after several gigs with an old mate of mine Yury Todorov on drums and after his soon departure to Moscow the band almost died. That was the signal for me to remember my acoustic roots and I’ve gone solo again and went for two weeks summer tour in Russia. That was the first tour and a great experience for me. I’ve played in parks, in unbuilt houses and other memorable places. When I came back from the tour I was in a great mood, and just in one month The Wild Rover became a full band again. Igor was again on bass, Pasha joined on drums, and Sasha joined on guitar. There was another 2 weeks acoustic tour in October 2011. This time together with dutch folk-punk singer Tim Vantol. After that we recorded our first single “Dancing In The Midnight” which was released through the local DIY punk label-distro “59 Sound Record  Shop” and already sold out.

You have already released a 3-song single back in January and 1 song in April. What are the future plans of the band? Should we expect the album soon?

Yes, we are working on the album at the moment. Our debut LP will be released very soon. Also we have plans for a full band tour. Album and tours are what we are looking for. 

All your lyrics are in English. Is it difficult to write lyrics in a foreign language? And why did you decide to write all songs in English?

I don’t know whether it difficult or not. I began writing songs when I was sixteen. All my songs are in English. Sometimes I need to look up a word in a dictionary or I ask my girlfriend to help me with grammar or something. But mostly songs just come to my head and all I need is to grab a pen and write them down.
Why did I decide to write in English? That is a good one. Sometimes I think I’ve chosen it because it sounds better, sometimes it’s all about communication with the World. I want to speak with all manner of people. In Russia it is much easier to find audience if you sing in Russian but I always knew that if somebody wants to understand you, he will do it.

Do you write all songs, I mean both music and lyrics, by yourself or are other band members involved too?

I write basic chords and lyrics. If a song sounds good the lads write their parts themselves. We work together on songs to make them complete.

How could you describe Russian punk scene nowadays? Are there any advantages or disadvantages comparing to other countries?

Russian punk scene is growing and is growing very fast. Within the last 10 years Russian punks have built a strong DIY community all over the country. A lot of good bands released descent records and went on tours. I can’t compare Russian scene to other countries’, but I think Russia has got potential. The worst common thing that may happen with a band in Russia is a loss of faith. We need to work really hard if we want to play music. And tours are not easy as well. We can’t avoid long distances between towns.

Some bands try to sound like other bands. And they say, for example “We want to sound like Hot Water Music or Blink-182 or whatever…” What is your opinion on this situation?

I think it’s only good for the band at the start. When members of a band were influenced by the same music, it helps them to stick together and enjoy the process. But every band should be exclusive. I mean you can sound like Hot Water Music but you’ll never be Hot Water Music. You know. You should find your way. Sometimes it’s hard but it’s worth a try.

What bands and releases have impressed you lately?

Most of all it’s Apologies, I Have None’s “London”, also I really liked Bruce Springsteen’s last album. I’ve listened a lot to Belle And Sebastian and Paul Baribeau for a while. My friends The Pelicans have made a good record recently.

 The last question (finally): What does punk mean to you and what role does it play in your life?

I still can’t decide what punk is. You know. Punk gives me so much. Some might say it’s some kind of freedom, but it’s much more about people and music involved. Punk is like language. You can speak punk, but only if you understand what it’s all about.

 
 Thank you for answering my questions! Is there anything you’d like to add?

Thank you too. You started a big thing and I want to wish you all the best on your way!  Keep on!


1 комментарий: